About Mark Brandon "Chopper" Read & interviews

Mark Brandon "Chopper" Read (born 17 November 1954) is an Australian ex-convict, author and celebrity. He is also a recording and performance artist. The 2000 film Chopper was based on his life.

Mark was a notorious underworld criminal hustler and violent standover man.
Quote from Mark "

I am Mark Brandon Read, but most characters like to call me "Chopper." There are a few obscure theories as to how I got my nickname, some reckon it is from an old cartoon, some say it is because I use to cut off the toes of others, while there are those that say it is because I had someone cut my ears off in jail. Maybe they are all right! Maybe they are all wrong! Who really cares.
For the record, it is because someone cut my ears off when I was in Melbourne's elite bluestone college - more commonly known as Pentridge. For some insane reason, some upstanding members of that institution were out to hurt me. I summoned all my manners to politely suggest to the screws that I be transfered from H division. They declined and said there was no way I would be getting a transfer, so I made the simple decision that ears off = transfer. Believe me, it works.
Note - For those that think this webpage is going to cover all the little intricate details and stories of my love, that I have told in my book...keep dreaming. If you want to know details about my life and why I am what I am, I suggest that you buy my books. I haven't busted my hump for hour upon hour just to shoot myself in the foot now and give it all to you for free. No, no, no, that would be quite ridiculous. Instead, this site will be my initial foray into the cyberworld. Here I can sell products and provide you with details of what is happening in my immediate life. It is my international address, my very own "Chopper command centre" if you will.

Now the Chopper movie is another little fable which in principle resembles my life. It is a mixture of fact and fiction and at times a bit of friction, but one character from that movie does exist. His name is Nevile Bartos. Now I have known Neville for 25 years. Neville has saved my hide numerous times and without doubt if he hadn't been around, I wouldn't either. I know that Melbourne has its hard and tough men, as does every other place in the world, but this man is the "THE KING". Now Neville is an Albanian and for those of you with a little knowledge about war, you would know that the Russians for many years, used Albanians as their assassins. These people are totally loyal and totally dangerous. Let's just say Neville is no exception.
Neville "gold shoes" Bartos, what an old chestnut. I don't want to step on any toes , but as the name suggests this man has done to attire, what Jack the Ripper did to late night shopping. I mean, any more gold on this mans shoes, and it would be Australia's second goldrush. I don't know to whom he poses the greatest threat, to certain individuals or to the fashion industry. His fashion sense, shoes particularly, are...well.....interesting to say the least!  '  end Quote
"

Mark Brandon "Chopper" Read 1992